Sunday, July 22, 2012

Fantastic Weekend!

My weekend was great!  I hope yours was too!

Yesterday my dad came over and brought my treadmill to me, and he ate Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos with me for dinner.  They were pretty good. 


Literally just 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, and taco seasoning.  Turned the crock-pot on high for 4 hours.  Pulled the chicken out to shred, and then added some canned Jalapenos at the end, but, I really didn't notice them. 

I saved a couple cups of the shredded chicken to make Chicken Tortilla Soup later too.

After that, the Boyfriend and I went to my friend's house and had some adult beverages, and played that corn hole game.  I like it, it's that beanbag/toss in the hole cut out.  And then we came home, and I watched my CBS Sunday Morning, and my little sister sends me a text asking what I am doing in the afternoon, and perhaps she and her son would like to come over.  So I offered up dinner, and that set in motion the rest of my day!

Once the Boyfriend awoke, I let him know we would be having company for dinner, and that we would be needing to go get groceries sooner than later. Because I wanted some time for my salads I would be making to marinate. 

We ended up with Corn on the Cob, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Creamy Cucumber Salad, Broccoli Salad.

A FEAST!
It was all super good.  And then after all that, of course we needed dessert!  I had baked the 4 layers on Saturday morning.  But I needed to make the frosting and assemble this mammoth thing!

My first attempt at a gradient cake with ombre frosting.
I am not going to lie, I used 2 box white cake mixes, and added blue and violet food coloring to the Buttercream Frosting I made.  There was a lot of frosting, I made 3 batches, and used it all.

For both the cake and the frosting, I used more food coloring for the dark blue then I did for the lighter blue layers.

The frosting was Wilton's Buttercream frosting recipe.  I used a basic ombre technique I found here.

My 2 year old nephew poo'd blue the next day...  :)

Have you made a gradient cake or ombre frosting?  They are all over Pintrest - I would love to see or hear about your creation!

5 comments:

  1. Well, young lady your blog makes me hungry and your cake is very pretty! I like it and now follow you please come back to Hibiscus House anytime.
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I like your mini pink ombre cake as well!! :)

      Delete
  3. HI I have a quesstion.. I am making a pink and purple layer cake for my Granddaughter's birthday. I did a 'test' run last night and the pink looked pinky orange (I think because the cake mix is white but when you add eggs it becomes slightly yellow. Also my purple was not a deep rich purple. Any suggestions? The recipe I used says to use Betty Crocker classic gel colors. I used a litte red for the pink, and red and blue for the purple. I love the rich blue color you have above and have seen all colored layers in rich colors. Thanks for your help. Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti -
      I used what they had on the Betty Crocker Website for their 'Royal Blue Velvet Cake'. But basically, it was 2 teaspoons Royal Blue Gel Coloring from Wilton and a toothpick of violet Wilton Gel Coloring - be warned - they are VERY concentrated! I pick mine up either at the baking supply store, or at Michaels.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete